Why Do You Have So Many Unworn Clothes? part 2
This post has already been read 1498 times!
Here are 7 reasons why you have so many unworn pieces of clothing cluttering your closet and some possible solutions from “The Wardrobe Wizard of Baltimore.”
1. It doesn’t fit right. It may be the wrong size or it may be an unflattering style for your body shape. Even if its the right size and fits you in some places, in others places it pulls and is too tight or it bags because its too big. (Possible Solution- take it to a dressmaker who can do alterations.)
2. The color isn’t flattering. It drains all the color out of your face, makes you look sick or makes you look like you are having a perpetual hot flash. (Possible Solution- (You need a ”color break.”) Get this by showing some skin or wearing a flattering scarf color near your face.
You have nothing to wear with it. I call these pieces “orphans.” (Possible solution: take your orphans shopping to find matching pieces.)
4. It doesn’t feel right on. Maybe the fabric is itchy or it does not breathe or maybe you feel too uncovered or too covered up. (Possible Solution-layer it over something else)
5. It requires too much upkeep, ironing and expensive dry cleaning. (If you are anything like me, you are very busy and don’t have time to iron and do not like the idea of wearing clothing that is cleaned in Perc, a Cancer causing chemical.) Possible Solution: You may be able to wash it even if it says dry clean. Do not wash it if it says “dry clean only.”
6 It was a gift that you never liked or someone talked you into buying it. (Possible Solution- Re-gift it or donate or consign it.)
7. Maybe it was marked down to such a bargain price that the “thrifty part of you” couldn’t resist it. Possible Solution- Donate it or consign it to make room for pieces that really flatter you.
Your closets and drawers are being fattened by these non-working pieces of clothing. A recent client of mine had so many orphans with the tags still on, crowding her closets and drawers that she had lost track of what she owned. She no longer remembered what she owned that she could actually wear.
I was just like some of you before I got trained 20 years ago. I had closets overstuffed with clothes I could not wear. If image consultants were around when I was younger, I would not only have saved a lot of time and money, but I would not have turned down lots of fun activities, because I had nothing to wear.
What’s the solution to those overstuffed closets and drawers? Get educated about your body and face shape and get a color analysis so you will have a wallet of your best colors to shop with. Where can you get accurate information.? There are lots of books out there, some with good information and some with not so good information
Two books I recommend with lots of accurate information are “Dressing Smart for Women,” and “Dressing Smart for Men.” These books were written by Joanna Nicholson, my mentor and teacher. You can purchase them from Leslie Stott, Color 1 CEO. Contact Leslie at : http://Leslie@thecolorlady.com/
You may also be able to find them on Amazon or at your local library.
If you do not get help from someone who has training in image, style and color you will probably continue making many of those seven mistakes.
I am now able to do color and face and body shape analysis on-line no matter where you are located, using digital photos.
Nancy Goldblatt, Wardrobe Wizard of Baltimore, is a Color 1 Associate. For over twenty years, she has been helping women whose size and shape has changed, to shop their closets.
She specializes in color analysis , and face and body shape analysis. After a client works with “The Wardrobe Wizard”, she will have a pared down closet with “mix and match pieces,” and the ability to put her own best looks together.
Nancy works with clients in the Baltimore-Washington, D.C. area as well as long distance customers. She can now do online consults. To find out more: Contact the Wardrobe Wizard at firstname.lastname@example.org/ or call 410-513-9496 for a complimentary, no obligation 20 minute telephone consultation to discover your fashion personality and find out what “The Wardrobe Wizard,” can do for you.